Is Santa bringing a puppy to someone in your home? There are many things you need to do with a new puppy and one of the first is to schedule an exam with your South County Animal Hospital veterinarian. There are some dangers that may be lurking around your house during the holidays including some dangerous plants. This article from About.com has some good tips for protecting your puppy from plants that can be toxic.
While plants can make a lovely decorating statement, poisonous plants can kill pets. The deadliest plants must be chewed or swallowed for the poison to work.
Puppies are affected most often, particularly breeds that eat anything that doesn’t move faster than they do. Paws, mouths, and sometimes ears and eyes also are vulnerable to spiky parts of plants. Swallowed Christmas tree needles, for example, do damage to the tender insides of the puppy, too.
Dangerous Plants for Holiday
There are many plants like poinsettia that prompt only mild problems, such as excess salivation or mouth discomfort. Keeping these out of reach of curious paws may be sufficient to protect your pups. Others, like mistletoe, can kill your puppy if he eats just one or two berries.
In the spring, popular Easter flowers pose the greatest risks. Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and some species of the day lily can cause kidney failure. Vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite may appear within a few hours, and will continue to worsen as damage to the kidneys progresses.
Without prompt and proper treatment, kidney failure can develop in 36-72 hours. All parts of the lily are considered toxic. Consuming even small amounts can be life-threatening for cats, and lilies can poison your puppies, too.
Pet plant poisoning is a veterinary emergency that requires immediate medical attention. But you can save your pet’s life simply by steering clear of the worst plant offenders, both inside and out.
Read more at About.com